Thursday, November 13, 2008

What would you do if someone spat at you?

the beginning

I hailed a jeep on my way to a church meeting. Just as I was about to alight, I heard a spewing sound, followed almost instantly by a warm oozing feeling on my right hand. Yep, someone from the jeep spat at me -- unintentionally, of course, so I never took it against the boy.

That started movies of bacteria and viruses playing in my head. Later I learned it wasn't just my hand; my Bible -- at least, the denim cover -- was also partly . . . wet.

I was amazed at how I reacted. "Yuch! Yuch!" were the only ones I said. I didn't get mad, just a bit irritated at why people find the need -- and pleasure -- to spit in public places. I mean, they could swallow "it" for the meantime, until they could find a decent lavatory.

Throughout the ride, I thought of two things: first, handwashing; and second, Christ.

I was reminded that sinning is like spitting on Jesus' face. It's a mockery of what He has done on the cross. So I thought, when I looked at my right hand, "What is this compared to what Jesus had to endure?"

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yuck! Eww. Eck. I love how something disgusting reminds us of our sin and Christ's atonement!Thanks for good words.

Fri Nov 14, 11:27:00 AM GMT+8  
Blogger Lance said...

Thanks Laurie. It's amazing how the yuckiest of situations can teach us timeless truths.

Fri Nov 14, 03:11:00 PM GMT+8  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lance, in times like these, remember when you accidentally spat at your elem teacher.;p wahahahaha... :)

Hilda

Sun Dec 07, 12:21:00 PM GMT+8  

Post a Comment

<< Home